Additives for Engineered Wood, Plastic and Textile Composites
A New Generation of Fillers for Wood Plastic Composites
BioPowder.com provides you with very effective, renewable fillers and fibres for reinforced wood composites. Our materials ensure enhanced tensile and compressive strength, a light weight and greater particle stability compared to wood. BioPowder.com functional powders are resistant to moisture and do not expand or soften. Therefore, they are components of choice for engineered construction materials. Thanks to their particle shape and color, they can create unique texturing effects. Our fine powders are excellent carrier for colorants due to their advantageous dispersion properties.
More and more manufacturers of engineered wood are seeking sustainable side stream resources. Our mission is to provide them with performance fibres to excel in making wood composites, e.g. for the following end products:
- deck systems for terraces, ships and interiors
- parquet flooring
- fences and poles
- handrails and balustrades
- panels and roof systems
- window frames
- design furniture
BioPowder.com functional powders are also available in a white color. Thanks to research collaboration with the Biocomposites Division at KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Stockholm, Sweden), the lignin can be extracted from natural olive stone granules. To a similar extent as the so-called transparent wood, our additives can be used to create special design effects in engineered wood composites, e.g. for energy-efficient structural materials.
Innovative, Renewable Reinforcements for Engineered Plastic
BioPowder.com functional powders are sought after compounding additives for structural polymer composites. The most prominent applications in this field include:
- Thermoplastic composites: fibres are dispersed in the melted plastic mix in processes such as extrusion, compression and/or injection molding and thermoforming. Tensile and compressive strength can be significantly enhanced thanks to the hardness and particle structure of our powders.
- Fibre-reinforced PE composites: polyethylene is the most commonly used plastic. Our powder additives can convert this synthetic polymer into a bio-plastic with up to 60% natural components.
- Low-density composites: especially in lightweight parts, the ideal filler/fibre needs to combine low density with high performance. BioPowder.com functional powders ensure great matrix reinforcement effects with less than half the weight of mineral fillers.
Olive stone powder additives have proven particularly effective in the following end products:
- garment hangers
- luggage items, computer and mobile phone cases
- household appliances
- biomaterials, dental and medical implants
- high-performance plastics in the shipbuilding, aviation, railway, aerospace and automotive industries
Sustainable Powder Additives for Textile Fibres
Filaments can be developed by adding our fine micronized powders to a textile composite matrix. Stable thread structures can be formed in particular with small particles of <50 microns that act as a filler in melt-spinning processes. Such olive stone-based compounds are state-of-the-art yarns to be integrated in a variety of garment and high-performance textiles. This comes with numerous advantages, especially from a sustainability perspective:
- possibilities to replace cotton: cotton is a crop that requires enormous quantities of water and land. Especially in regions with severe water shortage (e.g. in Central Asia), cotton farming has depleted large areas and displaced the rural populations.
- alternatives for synthetic textiles such as acrylic, polyester or nylon: our powder additives open up the opportunity to create lasting fibres from renewable resources.
- zero-waste policy: manufacturing of BioPowder.com additives does not produce any waste but upvalues agricultural by-products.
- very reduced resource consumption: the textile industry is one of the most resource-intensive industries on Earth. A fibre created with minimal water, land and power input greatly enhances the ecological footprint of textiles.
- European origin: no transcontinental transports are required; European environmental standards and labor laws are respected throughout the entire supply chain.
Whatever your composite project, we look forward to hearing from you. We help you find the right powder additive and provide you with small and even micro-batches for industrial trials. Contact us with your inquiry.